Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Everybody Believes In Free Will

After reading this blog post today on the Catholic's view of Pre-destination, I was struck by a very subtle comment made therein...

Catholic theology teaches that not only are the elect predestined to heaven, but also that mankind has a freedom of the will–a striking difference with Calvinism.

By the title of this post, I don't mean to suggest literally that actually "everbody" in existence believes in Free Will (whatever that means), because I am sure that I could soon find somebody who is completely fatalistic in their thinking. However, I am simply speaking about the on-going, common and sometimes controversial debate between Arminism and Calvinism (accepting the recent titles given to two different schools of thought) and that both sides on the issue believe in Free Will. Actually, the lines between Arminists (a.k.a. Pelagians) and Calvinists are not clearly defined at all, but even the categories that fall within the two extremes profess to believe in Free Will. I have never ran into anybody within this debate that said they don't believe in Free Will. So why do pelagian-leaning schools of thought always say that Calvinists do not believe in Free Will? I don't think the answer is as simple as saying that the logical fallacy of equivocation has been committed.

Calvinists believe that it is BECAUSE of our free will that we (humans) are bound in our present state of falleness (sin) without any hope of salavation apart from the saving, gracious act of regeneration by God through the Holy Spirit. That's right, I said "BECAUSE of our free will". I think primarily there are two issues that come into play here: Free Will and the Doctrine of Original Sin. And it is our understanding of these two issues that form the dividing lines between the pelagians, semi-pelagians, and the calvinists.

I believe that since we have a "Free Will", we have the ability to do whatever we as humans want. Well, at least within reason, I can't bench press 800 lbs., but I sure would like to! That is to say, our actions are not limited in any sense by a restriction in our own freedom of choosing, but it may be physically limited or limited by outside force or coercion. Taking it a step further, I think the essence of "Free Will" is that we MUST do whatever we want. That is, because we are free and have a free will, we absolutely and positively have to do what we want (doesn't sound very "free" to me). We cannot not do what we do not want to, we have to do it BECAUSE we want to and we have a free will. I don't believe there was ever a time when you did something that you did not want to do. I am writing this blog because I want to. You are reading this blog because you want to. If you think you are just reading this blog just to be nice to a friend but you really don't want to because it is boring and written poorly. Then I would say to you, at the outset of reading this blog, that you made a conscious decision to read for my sake and be nice to me. Puting it another way, you read because you WANTED to please me, or because you WANTED to read further because of the interesting title, or etc... But the bottom line is, you proceeded because you WANTED to and because you have a Free Will. The more you fight against this concept of Free Will, the more it will fight against you.

Combined with the Doctrine of Original Sin that states that man in his sinfulness is dead in sin, we are bound by our desires which are desperately wicked and want to sin. We as fallen human beings are a slave to sin. And therefore now it means, to be human is to sin. Mankind still has his free will that he had before the fall, but now it is a fallen free will in the sense that it is bound by a different set of desires than before the fall. Without the regenerating work of God to awaken us and make us alive, we remain dead and all of our actions, desires, and thoughts remain bound by our fallen sinfulness (Ephesians 2:1-9). God wakes us up and gives us the ability and desire to choose good things, and we place our faith in Christ for our salvation. For the wages of sin is death (Romans 6:23).

Therefore, after all, both the Pelagians and Calvinists and anywhere in between all claim to believe in Free will (to my knowledge anyways). But the Calvinists don't believe that our free will gives us the ability to choose righteousness in our fallen state. That would be analogous to me having the ability to bench press 800 lbs. I think maybe somewhere or sometime ago Calvinists conceded to not believing humans have Free Will because of the concept of Free Will that their opponent possessed. So maybe sometimes Calvinists these days do say humans don't have Free Will, but I would argue that they only do so because of the majority of evangelical Christians today have a semi-pelagian concept of Free Will. And so they are trying to debate with definitions of the terms of their opponent to establish a level playing field, and to avoid the fallacy of equivocation. I guess by the opposeing concept of Free Will (opposeing the Calvinists), I mean any view that does not only admit we still have Free Will in the current state of sinfulness, but that are Free Will is completely bound by our sinful desires. And by completely, I mean utterley, absolutely, can't fight against it, complete.

To avoid the contention that almost always comes up with this topic, I would like to say that I welcome anybody's critiquing on my thoughts. As a side note, I really don't know when I am supposed to capitalize "Free Will" And when i Am not, or weTher it is supposed to be consistently capItalized or NoN-capitalized. You have proBably noticed that I Actually don't know anything about the ruLes OF capitalization. But please don't let that steal any credibility from me :)

5 Comments:

At 12:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, to what view do you subscribe? I've always thought that the concept of pre-destination can be rectified by seeing it as God knowing what we're going to do since the beginning of time, and yet declining to FORCE salvation onto those people who he knows will not believe. We have free will in that God won't force us to come to him (by saving everyone, even unbelievers)...but, because He loves us all, He will woo each and every one of us even though He already knows who will never believe. In God's grace, He gives us a choice, but in His grace He also declines to give us a free salvation ticket when he already knows we are not going to believe. In this way, He limits our free will when He takes away one choice that He COULD have given us (don't believe, still get into heaven,) but He gives us different, limited form of free will (believe, and see Him in paradise - or don't).

That's a long comment, huh.

--- Catherine

 
At 10:13 AM, Blogger Tim said...

Catherine, currently, I am indebted to the Reformed view of predestination. I am so overwhelmed by God's "Amazing Grace", I can't get out.

How strong or irresistable of a "woo" do you mean? I believe the wooing your talking about appears at least in John 6:44(i am sure not only here). It all depends on how strong of a "drawing" the scripture is talking about here. It has been argued from the Reformed camp before, that the same New Testament Greek word used for "draw" in John 6:44, is also found in Acts 16:19. However, in the Acts verse, the same Greek word was translated "dragged". That is a pretty strong wooing found in John, if you use the interpretation that was used in the verse to "drag" Paul and Silas to prison. However, words can take on several different meanings, but we must be really careful here because we want to make sure we are not getting our interpretation of the verse in John from our preconceived notion about God's "drawing" and how much of an irresistable impact it has on our life. No, I do not in any way mean to say that God will choose to save unbelievers or anybody that does not want to. When God woos, draws, or drags, He does so by regenerating our sinful heart to the point that we can see The Truth. And through Christ He makes us alive to the things of Christ (Ephesians 2:1-9) so that we recognize our need for salvation through Christ. When God calls, we come, and we desperately want to, because He made us want to.

Another one of the reasons why I am stuck in the reformed camp is because of how I understand what you described as God choosing on the basis of forknowledge of our actions. Even if God chose on the basis of forknowledge of our actions, then our salvation would still be based on our "righteous" works, or our "righteous" response to the Gospel and not soley on God's grace; it had something to do with my works and righteousness. But how am I supposed to square the viewpoint with Ephesians 2:8 or Romans 9:16.

Anyways, that is where I am at today. I don't have the slightest problem with people who do not agree with me. I respect their position on this subject. I like to debate this subject because it sharpens me and edifies me. This subject also forces me to search the scriptures to learn more about God and His salvation for me, which always humbles me and strengthens my walk with Christ. However, I am fully aware of the divisions in the chruch that this subject alone has brought about, and I think that is a terrible thing.

 
At 1:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree that it's awful that divisions and anger result when people allow issues like this to break fellowship. Don't you know that Satan must love it when he sees Christians focus on topics like this (predestination...proper instruments for worship...King James vs NIV) to the point that we forget what we're actually supposed to be doing here? Worshipping God! Loving Him, honoring Him, emulating Christ! Loving each other! These are the things that are most worth our time, our thoughts, our passion.

Interesting subject though - I like to see you delving into the Greek words and I like the scripture references you use. I praise God that you know Christ and are growing in knowledge of His word!

- Catherine

 
At 12:50 PM, Blogger Tim said...

Yoshitownsend, Yes, I deleted your comment because it was completely off of topic. Since you have your own blog that seems to be dedicated entirely to the subject that you really want to discuss on mine, you should start a blog thread about it on yours. Since I am now allowing a comment of yours to stay on my blog, the readers of my blog who are interested in what you have to say and possibly discuss this issue with, can click on your name and navigate to your blog for a possible discussion if they wish. I may do the same if I have time and you post something thought provoking and I happen to notice that you made a post.

If you start making posts to your blog, you'll probably be amazed that friends and other people will actually read it and take the time to comment about it. Although, I question whether or not you actually read my blog post, because you didn't comment on anything I said, I am still amazed that people find my blog and read it. You found my blog because I have a direct link to it on facebook, so if you want people to find your blog, put a link to it from somewhere such as I did.

But as for my blog, I'll post what is interesting to me, but not everything that is interesting to me will I post.

 
At 7:37 PM, Blogger Varun said...

sorry to put this up here, but i want you to check this out,
http://www.okcupid.com/politics

 

Post a Comment

<< Home