Thursday, September 29, 2005

Reseach results and graduation

Well, the Prof said yesterday that I had done enough for my graduation this december! So I guess it is official, this december I should graduate with my Masters degree. But I am not done with school yet, since I promised my professor I would stay to get my Phd underneath him, I still have several more years to go. But the good news is, ya'll can call me "Master Tim" after December.


For my thesis, I designed an Ultra-wideband (UWB) CMOS Differential Low-Noise amplifier. UWB refers to the fact that my circuit will operate over a very large bandwidth (several Gigahertz). CMOS equals cheap for companies to build. The differential architecture should aid in removing common-mode noise (which is very very bad). And we want the amp to be low-noise (i.e. it doesn't contribute much noise to the signal) so that prospectus wireless receivers can be as sensitive as possible.


Here are some of my simulation results. I stare at these all day and wish they would get better. The first is my amplifier's gain versus frequency expressed in decibels.Amplifier Gain And the second is the noise figure versus frequency Noise Figure (lower is better).

2 Comments:

At 1:50 PM, Blogger Varun said...

This is it Tim! Its the big one. congratulations! All your hard work have paid off. I was really lucky to have been there to hear Dr. Jung say it.

Hope to follow your footsteps soon.

 
At 3:38 PM, Blogger Tim said...

Thanks Varun, I am sure that you will do a much better job than I did. You have gotten a better head start than I did. Plus more brains help.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home